The Legal Affairs Unit is responsible for handling all legal issues that arise in the course of the Commission’s execution of its mandate. In particular, the Unit:
- Provides legal advice on all aspects related to the work and operations of the Commission;
- Provides legal advice on all lawsuits to which the Commission is a party;
- Coordinates and manages the hearings of the Commission;
- In conjunction with the Special Support Unit, provides appropriate support to victims and witnesses of gross human rights violations; and
- Assists with the leading of evidence during the Commission’s hearings.
The Legal Affairs Unit is headed by a Director. There are three legal affairs officers and three legal interns in the Unit.