The Legal Affairs Unit is responsible for handling all legal issues that arise in the course of the Commission’s execution of its mandate. In particular, the Unit:
- Provides legal advice on all aspects related to the work and operations of the Commission;
- Provides legal advice on all lawsuits to which the Commission is a party;
- Coordinates and manages the hearings of the Commission;
- In conjunction with the Special Support Unit, provides appropriate support to victims and witnesses of gross human rights violations; and
- Assists with the leading of evidence during the Commission’s hearings.
The Legal Affairs Unit is headed by a Director. There are three legal affairs officers and three legal interns in the Unit.
Director's Brief Bio
Director of Legal Affairs, Tom Aziz is a holder of an LLM degree from Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, U.S.A. and an advocate of the High Court of Kenya. He joins the Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission from Children Legal Action Network where he was Executive Director for five years. Prior to that , Mr Aziz was a magistrate from which he resigned to pursue further studies. He has authored various articles and conducted several consultancies on human rights issues.